If you buy an item via this post, we may get a small affiliate fee. Details.
Amazon has just revealed This Year in Books. It’s an annual list of the most sold, quotable, and unputdownable Kindle and print books in all formats, as well as most listened to Audible audiobooks.
This year-end ranking is an exciting glimpse into the reading trends and is based on Amazon Charts, weekly bestseller list that shows the latest trending books across all formats, not just one.
Each weekly Amazon Charts ranking combines sales of all editions of the single book: print, Kindle, audiobook, and the digital subscription (such as Kindle Unlimited or Amazon Prime Reading).
This Year in Books, although not as stunningly prepared as the interactive 2017 edition, is an entertaining way to find new books to download to your new Kindle or a Kindle app on your new Fire or iPad.
Fire and Fury is an obvious winner in nonfiction, but can you guess what the most sold fiction was? It’s not The President Is Missing co-authored by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. It’s not Tara Westover’s Educated. It’s not The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. These novels are ranked high in the Top 100 Kindle best sellers of 2018, but when the sales of all editions are combined, they give place to the book that was first released in… 2011.
Most sold fiction book of 2018
The book with most sales in 2018 across all formats on Amazon.com, Audible.com and in Amazon Books stores was a science-fiction novel Ready Player One.
This debut book by Ernest Cline was released in 2011 and soon became a worldwide publishing phenomenon. Set in 2045, the story follows teenage Wade Watts who enters a global virtual reality game called OASIS in a quest for a prize that will enable him to inherit the game creator’s fortune.
Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.
The book’s sales success in 2018 is mostly a result of the movie adaptation, produced and directed by Steven Spielberg, with Tye Sheridan as Wade Watts. The movie was released in March, and its plot, co-written by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline, was significantly different from the novel.
Another factor that made Ready Player One the most sold book of 2018 is the Audible version. The audiobook was released in 2011 and is narrated by Wil Wheaton. It’s one of the most popular Audible audiobooks of all time, scoring over 200,000 ratings, and enjoying the average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
It’s worth noting that for a limited time the price of a Kindle edition is set at $2.99, enabling you to save $7 (
Top 10 most sold fiction books of 2018
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
- The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn
- The President Is Missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- The Outsider by Stephen King
- Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Most sold nonfiction book of 2018
It’s no surprise: the most sold nonfiction of 2018 is Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff.
Since its release in January, it was the most talked-about book in 2018, instantly jumping into most book best seller lists.
With extraordinary access to the West Wing, Michael Wolff reveals what happened behind-the-scenes in the first nine months of the most controversial presidency of our time.
Brilliantly reported and astoundingly fresh, Fire and Fury shows us how and why Donald Trump has become the king of discord and disunion.
The book is the highest ranked nonfiction on the list of Amazon’s Top 100 print best sellers of 2018 (#4). It’s also the #8 book on the list of Top 100 Kindle best sellers of 2018.
Top 10 most sold nonfiction books of 2018
- Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
- Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership by James Comey
- Educated by Tara Westover
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
• • •
More posts for book lovers:
- Don’t judge a book by its price. Top reads adapted for the screen are up to 80% off
- Opinion: privacy settings ebook stores should implement as soon as possible
- Here are Valentine’s Day last-minute Kindle deals
- How to disable data collection on your Kindle or Fire device
- Over 250 short stories from a popular sci-fi magazine are now free to read and download