The many benefits of reading (infographic)
Everyone knows reading is good, but sometimes we tend to forget about it, especially in view of, well, video screen.
One fact wins my mind more than anything else: reading for as little as 6 minutes can reduce stress by 60%.
The infographic is based on a summary “Reading Matters” that not only outlines most important benefits, but also cites the research to back it up. It’s available for free as a pdf file (here is a download link).
Below there is a quick list of benefits, and infographic itself. Don’t hesitate to visit the original page and explore the great site of National Reading Campaign.
What does reading do for us?
- Reading has an impact on every part of Canadian life. Our democracy, our economy, and the quality of our daily lives are all enhanced by reading well and critically.
- Reading is essential to the well-being of society and to our functioning as a democracy.
- Reading is a lifelong source of pleasure for individuals.
- Reading empowers the critical thinking skills of every individual.
- Reading can enhance empathy and lead to greater understanding of people who are different from ourselves. It increases our emotional intelligence and helps us to appreciate other points of view.
- Reading is essential to being able to function. It reduces barriers to access. It helps people to make meaning of their world.
- Reading lays the foundation for future learning. It increases our self-worth. It gives us the capacity for critical thinking.
- Reading inspires. It is a trigger for the imagination.
- Reading increases individuals’ health and economic well-being.
- Reading preserves the culture for the next generation. It creates a shared connection to the community.
- It is important for society to have a large portion of the population engaged as readers so they can exercise power over their lives and understand how to make effective changes. It allows them to be active citizens.
More infographics on Ebook Friendly:
- A guide to library fair use (infographic)
- The 10 commandments of a book lover (infographic)
- What do we read in the bathroom (infographic)
- Most controversial books in the world (infographic)
- The future-proof library (infographic)
Leave a commentcomments powered by Disqus
Get free updates via email
Powered by MailChimp
“Enjoy Reading” iPhone 6 Snap Case
A slim fitting one-piece clip-on case for iPhone 6 (4.7-inch). The iconic Coca-Cola design features “Enjoy Reading” phrase. The case is also available for iPhone 6 Plus.
Mulbess Kobo Aura HD Stand Case Cover
Thin and lightweight case cover, with elastic hand strap and easy snap-on installation. Turns into a portrait stand for hands-free reading. Available in six colors.