Tips & more
The many benefits of reading (infographic)
Everyone knows reading is good, but sometimes we tend to forget about it, especially in view of, well, video screen.
National Reading Campaign, a Toronto-based non-profit organization to make reading a priority for Canada, has developed together with CBC Books, an infographic that lists main benefits of reading.
One fact wins my mind more than anything else: reading for as little as 6 minutes can reduce stress by 60%.
The infographic is based on a summary “Reading Matters” that not only outlines most important benefits but also cites the research to back it up. It’s available for free as a pdf file (here is a download link).
Below there is a quick list of benefits, and infographic itself. Don’t hesitate to visit the original page and explore the great site of National Reading Campaign.
What does reading do for us?
- Reading has an impact on every part of Canadian life. Our democracy, our economy, and the quality of our daily lives are all enhanced by reading well and critically.
- Reading is essential to the well-being of society and to our functioning as a democracy.
- Reading is a lifelong source of pleasure for individuals.
- Reading empowers the critical thinking skills of every individual.
- Reading can enhance empathy and lead to greater understanding of people who are different from ourselves. It increases our emotional intelligence and helps us to appreciate other points of view.
- Reading is essential to being able to function. It reduces barriers to access. It helps people to make meaning of their world.
- Reading lays the foundation for future learning. It increases our self-worth. It gives us the capacity for critical thinking.
- Reading inspires. It is a trigger for the imagination.
- Reading increases individuals’ health and economic well-being.
- Reading preserves the culture for the next generation. It creates a shared connection to the community.
- It is important for society to have a large portion of the population engaged as readers so they can exercise power over their lives and understand how to make effective changes. It allows them to be active citizens.
Click or tap the image to enlarge it.
More infographics about reading, books, and libraries:
Most popular children’s books around the world (infographics)
– August 17, 2021
50th anniversary of ebooks – facts, benefits, timeline (infographic)
– June 26, 2021
How to learn a language based on four common skills (infographic)
– May 31, 2021
15 most helpful writing lessons from successful authors
– May 1, 2021
20 most commonly used languages of the web (infographic)
– April 16, 2021
In this updated overview, we list the best case covers and sleeves that are compatible with the basic iPad 10.2-inch model released in 2021. They will also fit iPad 10.2 from 2020 and 2019.
iPad 2021 cases
About Piotr Kowalczyk
Ad-man who decided to devote his life to books. Founder of Ebook Friendly, ebook enthusiast, and self-published short story author. Prefers reading on his iPhone, but when it comes to history books – Piotr always picks print.
• • •
Secure social sharing
We removed all social buttons, but if you wish to share this post on Twitter or Facebook, use the box below which will securely open the sharing panel in a new browser tab.
The many benefits of reading (infographic) https://ebookfriendly.com/benefits-of-reading-infographic/ via @ebookfriendly
+ Twitter + Facebook
Before you go
What iPad Pro 11 case are you looking for? We've got the most exciting new designs from third-party producers. Smart Cover alternatives, keyboard cases, slim tri-fold stands, heavy-duty folios, fashionable cases for women, and more!
iPad Pro 11 covers
• • •
Instead of comments
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
by Suzanne Collins
Part 1: The Mentor
Coriolanus released the fistful of cabbage into the pot of boiling water and swore that one day it would never pass his lips again. But this was not that day. He needed to eat a large bowl of the anemic stuff, and drink every drop of broth, to prevent his stomach from growling during the reaping ceremony. It was one of a long list of precautions he took to mask the fact that his family, despite residing in the penthouse of the Capitol’s most opulent apartment building, was as poor as district scum. That at eighteen, the heir to the once-great house of Snow had nothing to live on but his wits.
His shirt for the reaping was worrying him. He had an acceptable pair of dark dress pants bought on the black market last year, but the shirt was what people looked at. Fortunately, the Academy provided the uniforms it required for daily use. For today’s ceremony, however, students were instructed to be dressed fashionably but with the solemnity the occasion dictated. Tigris had said to trust her, and he did. Only his cousin’s cleverness with a needle had saved him so far. Still, he couldn’t expect miracles.
The shirt they’d dug from the back of the wardrobe—his father’s, from better days—was stained and yellowed with age, half the buttons missing, a cigarette burn on one cuff. Too damaged to sell in even the worst of times, and this was to be his reaping shirt? This morning he had gone to her room at daybreak, only to find both his cousin and the shirt missing. Not a good sign. Had Tigris given up on the old thing and braved the black market in some last-ditch effort to find him proper clothing? And what on earth would she possess worth trading for it? Only one thing—herself—and the house of Snow had not yet fallen that far. Or was it falling now as he salted the cabbage?
326 words read…
+ Kindle + Audible
Tips for users
Tips, news, deals, and geek stuff for Kindle users.
If you are an Apple geek, or plan to buy an iPad or iPhone.
• • •
The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers.
– Sydney J. Harris –
• • •
“Stay away I’m rereading” & “My week is all booked” t-shirts
If you need more time for reading, check out these stylish designs that reimagine most famous bookish sayings and memes. Available on over 60 items, including apparel, personal accessories, and home decor.