Amazon has just announced a smart accessory that will turn Amazon Fire tablet into a stand providing audio and video answers using Alexa hand-free.
The new accessory is called Show Mode Charging Dock and is available for two Fire models: HD 8 and HD 10.
According to Amazon, Show Mode dock “automatically switches your Fire tablet into Show Mode for an Alexa experience the whole family can use – ask Alexa to add items to your shopping or to-do lists, call your mom, or see who is at the front door.”
The accessory is not actually just the charging stand. It consists of two parts:
- a charging dock & multi-angle stand – it provides two functions: charges the tablet and positions it at the right angle for easy viewing,
- a back-shell case – it features built in magnets that help quickly guide the tablet into the charging position.
Why would you need it Show Mode? If you own Amazon Fire HD 10, you have probably tried Alexa hands-free already. Now you can not only hear what the Fire is asked to do, but also see it. And see from a distance. There is no need to take the tablet in the hands.
When you dock your Fire to Show Mode Charging Dock, it automatically becomes ready to show news or alarms, display calendar notifications or live security camera feeds.
The way the Fire enhanced with Show Mode works is similar to Echo Show smart speaker that sports a large (“large” compared to other smart speakers) 7-inch display. By the way, the price of Echo Show, most probably due to the launch of Show Mode, has been reduced by as much as $70, from
$229.99 to $159.99.
As I said, the new accessory is available for two Fire models. Both size variants will be released on July 12th, just in time for Prime Day 2018, but you can pre-order them already.
- Show Mode Charging Dock for Fire HD 8 – an introductory price is set at $34.99, compared to the regular
- Show Mode Charging Dock for Fire HD 10 – the pre-release price is reduced to $49.99, from
Will the docks get a price cut for Prime Day 2018? It’s quite possible that you will be able to get them at least at pre-launch prices. Who knows, maybe the prices will go down even more. We’ve seen newly released Kindles and Kindle accessories getting significant price cuts a few weeks after launch.
So far, the dock is available in one color: Black. However, Amazon claims additional docks and cases will be released on July 12, and it most probably means other color variants that would be compatible with the remaining colors of the 2017 Fire tablets.
Along with Show Mode docks, you will be able to buy new bundles that include the Fire tablet and the Show Mode dock. They will also be released on July 12, 2018.
- Fire HD 8 and Show Mode – the bundle includes Fire HD 8 (2017 release) with special offers, 32GB, and Show Mode Charging Dock – $134.98,
- Fire HD 10 and Show Mode – the bundle includes Fire HD 10 tablet with special offers, 32GB, and Show Mode Charging Dock. It costs $189.98, $10.00 less than buying separately.
To make the most use of the new Fire tablet accessory, a new software update will be delivered wirelessly starting July 2.
Show Mode Charging Dock for Fire tablets
• • •
Keep reading. We’ve got more posts for Amazon Fire users:
- Amazon Fire 7 (2019) all-in-one: specs, benefits, comparisons, more
- The 3-minute guide to Amazon Fire 7 tablet (2019 release)
- 10 best Amazon Fire 7 (2019) cases you can get right now
- 5 reasons why you should not buy Amazon Fire 7 (2019)
- A quick guide to the best Kindle and Fire deals for Mother’s Day 2019