Which countries are most read in the world? A report from GfK Global Studies brings new numbers to the table.
The report is based on an online survey conducted among 22 thousand users from 17 countries, aged 15 or more. A simple question was asked about how often the users read books.
Below you’ll find two charts with the major figures from the report. But before let’s have a look at the highlights:
- on average, 30% of users claim they read books every day; 6% say they never reach for a book,
- women are more likely to be avid book readers than men,
- the highest percentage of everyday book readers lives in China (36%). The UK and Spain are next (32% each),
- South Korea and the Netherlands have the highest percentage of users who say they never read books,
- high-income households are more likely than low-income to read books frequently.
You can get a free copy of the report from GfK. It shows a detailed breakdown by income, age, and gender. You can also find inside over 80 quick charts, similar to the ones presented below.
Click or tap each image to open it in full resolution.
Frequency of reading books across the world
Frequency of reading books by country
More infographics about books:
- Amazon Echo vs. Google Home – which smart speaker is better? (infographic)
- How to conveniently get your book published in major ebook stores (infographic)
- How much are famous authors worth per word? (infographic)
- Every literary movement in the history of literature summed up in a single sentence (infographic)
- A magic history of Harry Potter (infographic)
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Infographics.
Start the discussion
Tips and tricks
Khomo rear case is a perfect fit for your iPad Pro with Smart Cover and Apple Pencil
A slim cover from Khomo will protect the back of your iPad, store Apple Pencil, and go well with both the Smart…
Kindle Oasis 2 – things you should know before buying it
Pros and cons of the second-generation Kindle Oasis explained from a user’s point of view.
11 Nook Tablet 7 (2016) cases for different needs and tastes
Best examples of case covers for Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet 7 (2016) – both original and third-party.
15 cases for Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017) that combine functionality with style
Best cases for Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet released in 2017. Advanced functionality, unique style, affordable price. Folio cases, slim shell covers, felt sleeves, and keyboard cases. Enjoy!
50 best Kindle cases and accessories to buy in 2018
Find the best Kindle cases and accessories for the basic Kindle, Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis. The list includes items not only from Amazon, but also Etsy, Caseable, eBay, and other sites.
50 best iPad cases and accessories to buy in 2018
An updated overview of the best iPad cases, sleeves, and accessories from around the web, including cases for iPad 9.7, and newest iPad Pro models: 10.5 and 12.9.