Italian photographer Dan Bannino has created a photo series called Poetic Dogs. He shows portraits of famous writers juxtaposed with pictures of adorable shelter dogs.
The goal of the project is to tell the best stories about these dogs, and raise awareness toward dog adoption.
Most of the dogs featured on the photos suffered hunger, sickness, and loneliness – in the same way a lot of great writers did in the past.
Dan explains the reason for creating the project:
Almost a year ago I’ve rescued from a shelter my buddy Rothko, he was found in a gypsy camp, in very poor state and after his adoption I’ve realized how many dogs are in the same condition all around the world.
You’ll find there not only final photos but also behind the scene pics, and, most importantly, information about each lovely dog featured in the comparisons.
Shelter dogs and famous writers (pictures)
Dogs and famous writers – Charles Bukowski.
Dogs and famous writers – Charles Dickens.
Dogs and famous writers – Edgar Allan Poe.
Dogs and famous writers – Ernest Hemingway.
Dogs and famous writers – Jean Paul Sartre.
Dogs and famous writers – Leo Tolstoy.
Dogs and famous writers – Mark Twain.
Dogs and famous writers – Oscar Wilde
Dogs and famous writers – William Shakespeare.
Shelter dogs and famous writers (collage)
Via Design Taxi.
We’ve got more fun stuff to explore:
- How to find out which European language you are reading (flowchart)
- How Shakespeare’s most iconic female characters got their names (infographic)
- Use this fun tool to check out the best-selling book of the year you were born
- Book Bot library robot returns books free of charge in Silicon Valley
- 12 vintage Valentine’s Day cards that you can send digitally