Video-on-demand services were launched 40 years after a prolific British sci-fi novelist John Brunner imagined them in Stand on Zanzibar.
Jules Verne predicted human kind would need a millennium to invent video-chatting. It actually happened 75 years after he published a visionary novel In the Year 2889. AT&T presented Picturephone at the World’s Fair in 1964.
This fantastic infographic from Printer Inks lists 24 books that predicted – and surely inspired – technology innovations we use in our daily life.
Click or tap the image to see it in full size.
Via Book Patrol.
Keep exploring. Here are other infographics about books and reading:
- How many libraries could the bestselling authors fill (infographic)
- How to find out which European language you are reading (flowchart)
- Censorship by the numbers (infographic)
- Top most challenged books of 2018 in the United States (infographic)
- How Shakespeare’s most iconic female characters got their names (infographic)