Just like books, book covers have their stories, too. Did you know, covers for all Virginia Woolf’s books were designed by her sister, Vanessa Bell?
The team from Invaluable, one of the fastest-growing online platforms connecting auction houses and galleries, has released a visual that is one of the best infographics devoted to book cover art we’ve seen so far.
Entitled To Judge a Book by Its Cover, the infographic puts together interesting facts about cover design. It starts with the briefly explained process of book cover creation and selection.
The most interesting section, however, is beneath and shares facts about 18 most famous book covers. Besides the edition, the name of the author and cover artist, you will find here a short fun fact about the cover.
Here are just a few:
- F. Scott Fitzgerald saw a cover for The Great Gatsby, designed by Francis Cugat, while he was still working on the novel. He decided to incorporate it into the book’s plot,
- J.D. Salinger was often picky about covers for his novels. He, however, liked the proposal for The Catcher in the Rye created by E. Michael Mitchell. Despite this, the author refused to sign a copy for the designer,
- Alfred Hitchcock loved so much the cover of Robert Bloch’s Psycho, designed by Francis Cugat, that he bought the rights to typography,
- A cover for Catch-22 was designed by Paul Bacon, who pioneered the “Big Book Look,” a trend in cover art where the author’s name and title were in large print, accompanied by a small illustration.
Just a reminder that Invaluable is the company which created a set of already iconic visuals presenting over 70 Shakespearean insults that you can use in every situation, and accompanied by Shakespearean insult generator.
Click or tap the infographic to see it enlarged.
Via Invaluable Blog.
• • •
We’ve collected more infographics about books. Take a look:
- 8 important things users want from a library (infographic)
- 11 libraries invaluable to world history (infographic)
- 15 proven ways to write faster and become a better writer (infographic)
- 12 common English words that still confuse everyone (infographic)
- Top 30 gifts to give book lovers in 2018 (infographic)
Take a look at active and upcoming deals on Kindle, Fire, Echo & Alexa, iPad, as well as accessories and digital content.