To celebrate the freedom to read, designer and illustrator Anna Weddle has created a single-minded infographic that lists the most common reasons that books are banned.
The visual is based on data from American Library Association. 52 books were banned because they contained sexual content. Violence and profanity are the next on the list.
It’s worth noting that poor spelling can also make a book land on the list of banned titles. Four books were banned or challenged because of it.
Click or tap the infographic to see it in full resolution.
More infographics to explore:
- 8 important things users want from a library (infographic)
- 11 libraries invaluable to world history (infographic)
- 15 proven ways to write faster and become a better writer (infographic)
- 12 common English words that still confuse everyone (infographic)
- Top 30 gifts to give book lovers in 2018 (infographic)