To celebrate the freedom to read, designer and illustrator Anna Weddle has created a single-minded infographic that lists the most common reasons that books are banned.
The visual is based on data from American Library Association. 52 books were banned because they contained sexual content. Violence and profanity are the next on the list.
It’s worth noting that poor spelling can also make a book land on the list of banned titles. Four books were banned or challenged because of it.
Click or tap the infographic to see it in full resolution.
More infographics to explore:
- Best books about love set in 100 countries around the world (infographic)
- A timeline of international book fairs in 2019 (infographic)
- The state of books and reading in 2018 (infographic)
- The best 2018 infographics about books, libraries, and reading
- The ultimate gift-giving guide – which gifts to give and when (infographic)