To celebrate the freedom to read, designer and illustrator Anna Weddle has created a single-minded infographic that lists the most common reasons that books are banned.
The visual is based on data from American Library Association. 52 books were banned because they contained sexual content. Violence and profanity are the next on the list.
It’s worth noting that poor spelling can also make a book land on the list of banned titles. Four books were banned or challenged because of it.
Click or tap the infographic to see it in full resolution.
More infographics to explore:
- How many libraries could the bestselling authors fill (infographic)
- How to find out which European language you are reading (flowchart)
- Censorship by the numbers (infographic)
- Top most challenged books of 2018 in the United States (infographic)
- How Shakespeare’s most iconic female characters got their names (infographic)