When the new device is being introduced – no matter whether it’s Amazon, Apple, or Samsung – many users decide to buy an original cover, which is usually more expensive than third-party alternatives.
The original accessory should be the golden standard for quality of used materials and design, compatibility, and functionality. And it usually is.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t apply to Amazon’s original case cover for the newest high-end Kindle Oasis, released in October 2017.
Kindle Oasis 2 Water-Safe Fabric Standing Cover is available in three elegant colors (Charcoal, Indigo, and Sandstone) and offers a stand functionality through the simplified Origami design, known from Amazon’s earlier devices.
What’s more, the gorgeous-looking fabric used on the front is “water-safe.” It means nothing wrong should happen to it when you treat it with water. After drying, no stains or shape deformation should appear.
It sounds like there is nothing else to do but add the original case to the cart when buying the Oasis 2, right?
Wait! This case has some serious flaws. You should either buy third-party covers for Kindle Oasis 2017 or wait until the improved design of the original case is released (and let’s hope it happens soon).
At the time of writing this post, Amazon’s case got over 100 customer reviews. The average rating is a mere 2 stars out of 5 – something rare for original Amazon accessories.
There are two major complaints many users share:
- magnets are too weaks – the case is being held in place by magnets. These magnets are way too weak. Many users complain the Oasis falls out of the case too easily. It can happen when you fold back the front cover, or even when you pick it up from the table,
- the stand is a mistake – because of weak magnets the device slips out of the case, and it often happens when you try to form the stand. Also, the angles are wrong. In stand position, the device doesn’t lean back far enough, what results in the e-reader falling over.
Here are some of the most useful review passages for Kindle Oasis 2 (2017) original fabric-finished case cover:
Cover is useless. The magnets are not strong enough to keep the cover on and the “standing” part of the cover doesn’t fold back enough to actually allow it to stand securely. I am returning and will buy and 3rd party cover.
–Review by MadPriscilla, November 17, 2017
Fold the cover behind your Kindle and lay your Kindle flat on the table. Then when you attempt to pick up your Kindle by gripping the exposed metal, the device comes right off, leaving the cover on the table. No amount of force is necessary to do this.
–Review by Meedo, November 5, 2017
The magnets that hold the cover on seem way too weak for reliably keeping this cover on. It seems way too easy to accidentally knock the cover off. If I’m reading on my Oasis, the cover is always detached.
–Review by CBurge33, November 14, 2017
This is nothing like the nice Origami cover for the Voyage. If you use this as a stand, you’ll find that the kindle is angled a bit too high, and liable to fall over. Also, the stand is made by bending the cover, but the crease is really stiff. Finally, the magnets are weak enough that you will likely remove the cover rather than closing it on your Kindle about 50 percent of the time.
–Review by Young Sul, November 14, 2017
Amazon has removed the case from recommended add-ons for Kindle Oasis 2. The price has been already reduced from
$44.99 to $29.99. The shipping is delayed by one to two months, and this is most probably the time needed to release the redesigned cover.
• • •
Interested in the Kindle? We’ve got more posts for you:
- Get the basic Kindle with free Kindle Unlimited plan and save $30
- This Kindle + Audible bundle is all you need this holiday season
- Kindle Paperwhite 4 is up to $60 off but doesn’t include Kindle Unlimited anymore
- Here are 15 best Kindle Unlimited books of all time
- Kindle Unlimited pre-paid plans and gifting are no longer available