Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- John Green shares 26 exciting facts about libraries (video)
- Have you hugged your librarian today? (cartoon)
- 16 concepts for the evolving library (infographic)
- 11 exciting ways you can celebrate Read an Ebook Day 2017
- 5 ways to use your library card (infographic)
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Libraries.
Tips and tricks
Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017) – specs, reviews, comparisons, more
What to quickly decide whether Amazon’s Fire HD 8 tablet is right for you? Here you will find everything you need: full tech specs, comparisons with similar tablets, review highlights from top bloggers, and more.
A website lets judge a book by its first page, not a cover
Recommend Me a Book website displays the first page of a random popular book, so that you can start reading it right away.
12 best book gift ideas from Amazon Handmade
Amazon Handmade is an Etsy-like store with unique handcrafted goods. In this list you’ll see the best gifts for book lovers.
11 Nook Tablet 7 (2016) cases for different needs and tastes
Best examples of case covers for Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet 7 (2016) – both original and third-party.
50 most popular images about books, reading, and libraries
A list of images about books, reading, and libraries, that were most frequently shared on Facebook, Pinterest, and other social media networks.
50 motivating quotes about books and reading
A list of most wonderful and motivating quotes about books and reading. Some of them are beautifully visualized by top designers.