Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- Countries with the most and fewest libraries per 100,000 residents (infographic)
- The future of the library is the library of things (infographic)
- 25 libraries, classic and modern, in awe-inspiring symmetrical photos
- Story Pod is a compact exchange library which stands exactly where you need it
- An amazing home library made of 10,000 pieces of walnut (pictures)
Tips and tricks
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 – tech specs, comparisons, reviews, and more
Everything you wanted to know about the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S3: launch details, tech specs, comparisons, a review round-up, and lots of pictures.
Amazon launches thinner Fire 7 and cheaper Fire HD 8
Amazon Fire 7 priced at $49.99, Amazon Fire HD 8 ($79.99), Fire 7 Kids Edition ($99.99), and Fire Kids Edition HD 8 ($129.99) are available for pre-order. Shipping starts on June 7, 2017.
11 cases for Kobo Aura One and Aura Edition 2
The list includes original Kobo cases for Aura One and Aura Edition 2, as well as covers from other producers, found on Amazon, Etsy, eBay, and Rakuten.
15 unique cases and sleeves for the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9
A selection of the most functional covers and sleeves designed for Apple iPad Pro tablets released in 2017: Pro 10.5 and Pro 12.9. Leather sleeves, keyboard cases, stand covers, and more. Amazon, Etsy, Otterbox.
50 best literary gifts for a modern-day book lover
This updated list of the best literary gifts for book lovers includes home decor, clothing, accessories, jewelry, and e-reader covers.
50 thought-provoking quotes about libraries and librarians
A list of the best quotes about libraries and librarians, together with quotes that you can share as images.