Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- An amazing home library made of 10,000 pieces of walnut (pictures)
- This machine can remove dust from over 5,000 books per day (video)
- 10 most challenged books of 2016 in the US (infographic)
- Interactive map shows librarians’ favorite books around the world
- Leading museums and libraries offer gorgeous coloring books, free to download
Tips and tricks
Nook Store – a guide to deals, special sections, and features
Browse Barnes & Noble’s ebookstore easily. This list includes most important links to Nook Store: deals, bestsellers, special features, help pages, and more.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 – tech specs, comparisons, reviews, and more
Everything you wanted to know about the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S3: launch details, tech specs, comparisons, a review round-up, and lots of pictures.
11 Nook Tablet 7 (2016) cases for different needs and tastes
Best examples of case covers for Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet 7 (2016) – both original and third-party.
18 best gifts and accessories for the mom who loves books
Gifts your book-loving mother will be pleased to get: literary accessories, book-scented candles, bookish home decor, literature-themed jewelry and much more!
50 best literary gifts for a modern-day book lover
This updated list of the best literary gifts for book lovers includes home decor, clothing, accessories, jewelry, and e-reader covers.
50 best iPad cases and accessories to buy in 2017
An updated overview of the best iPad cases and accessories from around the web. Cases for iPad 9.7 (2017), iPad Mini, and iPad Pro, as well as older iPad models.