Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- Interactive map shows librarians’ favorite books around the world
- Leading museums and libraries offer gorgeous coloring books, free to download
- Book, cat, and cardigan lovers (diagram)
- A futuristic library in France is like the city’s living room (pictures)
- The best 2016 infographics about books, libraries, and reading
Tips and tricks
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 – tech specs, comparisons, pics, and more
The new Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 costs $599.99. It sports HDR-ready display, quad-speakers tuned by AKG, and comes with a refined S Pen.
How to add large files to Kindle and Kindle apps for iOS, Android
Here are ways to add a large personal file to your Kindle e-reader, Kindle for iOS, and Kindle for Android.
8 best gift ideas for the Nook owner in your life
Here are some ideas to let you pick the perfect gift for someone who is addicted to reading Nook books.
17 most fashionable Shakespeare gifts
The best Shakespeare gifts in one concise list. Clothing, jewelry, posters, t-shirts, iPhone & Samsung cases, among others.
50 best Nook cases and accessories to buy in 2017
Updated list of fashionable, well-designed Nook case covers and accessories. Nook GlowLight & GlowLight Plus, Nook Tab A 7.0, Nook Tab S2 8.0, and Nook Tab E 9.6.
50 awesome literary t-shirts for book lovers
A selection of the coolest literary t-shirts that will help express how much you love books. Tees from Etsy, Zazzle, Threadless, Society6, CafePress, and Amazon.