Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- Top 10 most borrowed authors in OverDrive-powered libraries
- Top 10 ebook and audiobook library checkouts of all time
- OverDrive-powered libraries have checked out over 1 billion ebooks and audiobooks (infographic)
- 14 funniest and weirdest animated gifs that are set in libraries
- The best 2017 infographics about books, libraries, and reading
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Libraries.
Start the discussion
Tips and tricks
Library ebooks are now showing up in Google search in the US
If you search for a book on Google, you may see now whether its digital version is available in a public library…
Take the 2018 ebook lovers’ reading challenge!
Explore these ebook reading prompts that will help you extend the reading scope, explore new authors, and improve the reading experience.
17 insanely colorful Amazon Fire 7 (2017) cases and sleeves
Brighten your life with the Fire 7 tablet, and brighten your Fire 7 tablet with one of these colorful cases, covers, and sleeves. They fit the 7th generation Amazon Fire 7, released in June 2017.
Case covers for Kindle Oasis 2 that you might have missed
Here are case elegant but affordable covers and sleeves designed by third-party producers to fit Kindle Oasis e-reader (second generation, released in 2017). They are a great alternative to the original Amazon Origami stand case.
50 most popular images about books, reading, and libraries
A list of images about books, reading, and libraries, that were most frequently shared on Facebook, Pinterest, and other social media networks.
50 best iPad cases and accessories to buy in 2018
An updated overview of the best iPad cases, sleeves, and accessories from around the web. iPad 9.7 2018/2017, iPad Pro 2017 models: 10.5 and 12.9, and older iPad tablets.