Public libraries have always played an essential role in their local communities. Now this role gets more important than ever before.
OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content for libraries, has released an infographic that shows how public libraries evolve to meet patrons’ needs in the digital age.
The infographic is based on a survey conducted by OverDrive in June and July 2015. As much as 16,756 end users answered the questions. The results are presented in a report, that you can download from OverDrive in pdf format.
This report will utilize this data to examine the positive effect the shift to digital content has had on the role of libraries in their communities by helping attract new readers, serve existing patrons better and reach beyond their physical walls.
The key highlights are:
- nearly 90% of patrons borrow one or more ebooks per month; 65% borrow at least once per week,
- library users are expanding their use of the library’s digital catalog. 50% of patrons have a specific book in mind when visiting the library’s website or branch; 80% continue to browse if that title is not available,
- 75% of survey respondents borrowed at least one ebook and print book in the same month. It’s a 22% increase from 2012 (the last time the survey question was asked).
Click or tap on the infographic to enlarge it.
Via Press Release Jet.
More posts about libraries:
- An amazing home library made of 10,000 pieces of walnut (pictures)
- This machine can remove dust from over 5,000 books per day (video)
- 10 most challenged books of 2016 in the US (infographic)
- Interactive map shows librarians’ favorite books around the world
- Leading museums and libraries offer gorgeous coloring books, free to download
Tips and tricks
Chrome extension finds matching library books while you browse Amazon, Goodreads
Library Extension for Chrome lets you instantly see print or digital book availability from your local library. So, you’ve found an interesting…
Use Google Keep to collect and digitize quotes from print books
In this short post you’ll learn how to grab text from print books and make it editable using a free Google Keep app.
10 protective cases for your Amazon Fire HD 8 (2016)
Check out the selection of Amazon Fire HD 8 (2016) case covers that are meant to fully protect your tablet from dust, scratches, and bumps.
7 best gift ideas for the Kobo user in your life
Here are some ideas to let you pick the perfect gift for someone who is addicted to reading Kobo books.
50 most inspirational quotes from books
An extended list of the most inspirational book quotes of all time: J.K. Rowling, Sylvia Plath, Oscar Wilde, Neil Gaiman, John Green, among others.
50 short books for busy people
Best short books you can read in less than three hours. Novels and novellas you can’t miss, short stories, and most interesting non-fiction books.