Millions of Amazon customers have joined Prime so far. The subscription offers free two-day delivery, unlimited access to Prime video, and several other benefits.
Prime membership can be shared, so you may wonder: “why should I gift it to anyone?”
Sharing is available to members of the same Amazon Household account. The members have to agree to share payment methods, and have to live at the same address.
If you want someone to give Amazon Prime, but don’t want to add this person to your Amazon Household, or the person who lives somewhere else, the gift is the right way to go.
Prime membership fee in the United States costs $12.99 per month. You can alternatively choose an annual plan which is $119. Both plans can be tested with a 30-day free trial.
Below, you will see simple instructions on how to gift Prime subscription.
How to gift Prime membership – step-by-step guide
1. Go to a Prime-gifting page on Amazon
In the US Amazon Store, there is a dedicated page, where you can give the gift of Prime.
Alternatively, you can go to Amazon Prime sign-up page, scroll down to the very bottom and find the link to Prime gifting.
2. Choose the plan and add it to cart
A dedicated Prime gifting page is straightforward. Under the list that highlights most important benefits of Amazon Prime, you will see available plans.
So far, you can choose between two options:
- 3 months for $39,
- 12 months for $119.
Compared to a monthly fee of $12.99, there is no discount related to buying a longer-term plan. The 12-month fee is the same as when purchasing a regular subscription.
When you choose the plan, click “Add Prime to Cart” button, and you can proceed to check out.
3. Send an email to the recipient
In the next stage, you will be able to fill the recipient’s email address and name, as well as type a personal message.
You can choose to send an email immediately or at a scheduled time.
Amazon will send an email to your gift recipient with instructions on how to redeem a gift. All Prime benefits will be unlocked the moment the recipient activates the subscription.
Gifting Amazon Prime – things to know
There are a few things you should know before you decide whether to gift Prime.
First of all, Prime membership gifting is available only in the United States. The person who buys the gift has to be the customer of the US Amazon online store. The recipient doesn’t – but will have to redeem the gift in the US Amazon Store, and not any other.
Secondly, if the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for Amazon Gift Card of the same value (plus applicable sales taxes).
And last, but not least. There is no free trial for the gifted Prime membership. It means, that when you hit the “Buy” button, your credit card will be immediately charged. However, the subscription will start when the recipient redeems the gift.
• • •
Amazon Prime – a complete list of features
- Free Two-Day Shipping – on eligible items to addresses in the contiguous U.S.,
- Free Same-Day Delivery – in certain areas,
- Kindle Owners’ Lending Library – you can borrow one book each calendar month; the catalog includes over 1,000,000 ebooks,
- Kindle First – early access to download a new book for free every month from the Kindle First picks,
- Audible Channels – free access to original audio editions of standout articles and news from top sources,
- Prime Reading – free access to over 1,000 top Kindle books, magazines, and comics,
- Prime Instant Video – unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes,
- Prime Music – unlimited, ad-free access to hundreds of Prime playlists and more than a million songs,
- Prime Photos – secure unlimited photo storage in Amazon Cloud Drive,
- Prime Pantry – members can purchase low priced grocery, household, and pet care items for a flat delivery fee of $5.99,
- Amazon Elements – access to Amazon’s line of everyday essentials,
- Prime Early Access – 30-minute early access to select Lightning Deals and new events on MyHabit.com,
- Membership sharing – Prime members may share the account with up to four eligible household members living at the same address.
• • •
Interested in Amazon Prime? We have more:
- How to cancel Amazon Prime subscription and get a refund
- 3 easy ways to find Prime Day eligible deals on Amazon
- On Prime Day 2018, you can buy Kindle Paperwhite for only $79.99
- 4 things not to do on Amazon Prime Day
- Prime Day 2018 Kindle, Fire, and Echo deals – here is all you can get right now
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Amazon Prime.
Start the discussion
Tips and tricks
How many audiobooks can fit into a Kindle e-reader?
An Audible audiobook can take 50 times more space than a Kindle edition. Take it into account if you plan to listen to audiobooks on your Kindle.
Tablet for kids – when the regular Fire is better than Kids Edition
Want to buy a tablet for kids? Amazon Fire Kids Edition or the regular Fire tablet? This post will help you choose.
15 best bookish gifts of 2017 – a holiday gift guide for book lovers
A holiday gift guide for anyone who wants to find a gift for the book lover. Books, special book editions, subscriptions, personal accessories, jewelry, home decor, and more.
10 premium iPad Pro sleeves hand-crafted from genuine leather and felt
Premium sleeves for iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9, hand-crafted from genuine leather and natural felt. Options with or without Apple Pencil holder, for iPad with Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard. Personalization options are available.
50 awesome posters that encourage to read
A list of most awesome read posters from Etsy, Zazzle, Redbubble, Society6 and AllPosters. For all needs and tastes.
50 best iPad cases and accessories to buy in 2018
An updated overview of the best iPad cases, sleeves, and accessories from around the web. iPad 9.7 2018/2017, iPad Pro 2017 models: 10.5 and 12.9, and older iPad tablets.