Kindle Unlimited is a digital subscription service giving unlimited access to over 1.6 million ebooks from the Kindle Store, as well as graphic novels, comics, and digital magazines.
The service is offered by Amazon, and it’s the Amazon website where you can sign up and cancel it.
Many users are getting interested in Kindle Unlimited, as it sounds like a fantastic deal. Having a chance to read as many books as I can for $9.99 per month? Yes, please!
What’s more, you can sign up for Kindle Unlimited with a click of a button and test the new service for free for 30 days. Therefore, many users join the service without doing basic research. There is plenty of time to test Kindle Unlimited before the first payment date, right?
How to end Kindle Unlimited membership, what are the conditions, what you have to keep in mind? You’ll find the answers below.
Cancel Kindle Unlimited – step by step
1. Go to Amazon.com website (or an Amazon website where you’ve signed up for Kindle Unlimited, such as Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.in).
2. On the right side of the top navigation bar, locate the link to your Amazon account settings. It starts with “Hello, [Your name],” followed by “Account & Lists.”
3. When you move your mouse over it, you’ll see a drop-down menu. Find “Your Kindle Unlimited” and click it.
4. You’ll see Manage your Kindle Unlimited Membership page. It’s where you can see all the details of your subscription:
- when you started it,
- the kind of the membership (the plan you chose),
- the date of the next billing,
- payment settings and an option to edit them,
- an option to stop the subscription.
To cancel your Kindle Unlimited subscription, find “Manage Membership” section at the bottom, and click “Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership.”
5. In the last step, you’ll be given a choice between continuing and ending the membership.
To cancel Kindle Unlimited subscription, click “End Membership on [Date]” button on the right side.
From now on, your credit card won’t be charged for prolonging the Kindle Unlimited subscription. You will, however, have full access to the catalog of Kindle Unlimited eligible books until the end date of the membership.
Cancel Kindle Unlimited – things to know
Here are the things you should know about the conditions of stopping Kindle Unlimited subscription. It’s good to know them… before you start the membership.
You won’t be charged if you cancel Kindle Unlimited during the free trial
Normally, if you join Kindle Unlimited, you have 30 days to try the service. Your credit card will be charged 30 days after your sign up. It means that if you cancel the service anytime during the free trial period, you won’t pay a penny for the service.
You won’t get refund for the rest of the paid period
Ending the Kindle Unlimited means the subscription won’t be renewed, but don’t expect to get a refund.
When you decide to keep the subscription, your credit card will be automatically charged at the end of a current period to continue the subscription.
If you cancel Kindle Unlimited in the middle of the current billing period, you won’t get a refund for the remaining days. Instead, your subscription will be active until the end of the period.
When you choose a monthly plan, it doesn’t seem to be a big problem. Things are different when you decide to pick up one of the longer plans: 6, 12, or 24 months.
For instance, if you had bought a 24-month plan, and decide to cancel the subscription after four months, you won’t get a refund for the remaining 20 months.
There is no free trial in Kindle Unlimited deal
From time to time, on Black Friday, Prime Day, and a few other occasions, Amazon offers deals on Kindle Unlimited where you can save even 40% (here is the example for Prime Day 2017 Kindle Unlimited deal. The longer plan you choose, the bigger discount you get.
The trick is that the plans for Kindle Unlimited deals are “pre-paid.” It means that when you sign up for the service, you won’t have a 30-day free trial – your credit card will be charged immediately.
Therefore, think twice before buying the subscription via the deal page. You’ll pay from $44.95 (6-month plan) to $143.85 (24-month plan) immediately after you sign up, and you won’t get a refund if you realize after a couple of days that Kindle Unlimited is not for you.
Kindle Unlimited – useful links
Want to find out more about Kindle Unlimited? Here are a few useful links:
- Description of Kindle Unlimited on Amazon – what Amazon says about the ebook subscription,
- Kindle Unlimited – things to know – our detailed analysis of the membership, together with tips and price comparisons,
- KOLL vs. Kindle Unlimited – if you hesitate between Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited, we’ve got a comparison of the latter service with Kindle Owners’ Lending Libray – a part of Prime membership,
- Official help page of Kindle Unlimited – how to change your payment information or cancel your Kindle Unlimited membership (would be more helpful if there were any screenshots).
• • •
Want to read more about Kindle Unlimited? Check out the recent posts:
- Last-minute Kindle deals: Paperwhite, Kindle Unlimited, top fiction reads, and more
- Here are top 100 most popular Kindle books of 2017
- 15 best bookish gifts of 2017 – a holiday gift guide for book lovers
- Top 50 Kindle Unlimited books of 2017
- The best of Cyber Monday 2017 – save 40% on Kindle Unlimited
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Kindle Unlimited.
Start the discussion
Tips and tricks
How to import my Kindle books to iPad
Getting your Kindle books to Apple iPad or iPhone is no big deal. It takes only a few minutes.
The ultimate guide to using Kindle app for iPad and iPhone
Are you a happy iPhone or iPad owner? Take a look at the benefits of the free Kindle app for iOS: save for later, listen to audiobooks, enhance the reading experience, and more.
18 best gifts and accessories for the mom who loves books
Gifts your book-loving mother will be pleased to get: literary accessories, book-scented candles, bookish home decor, literature-themed jewelry and much more!
Case covers for Kindle Oasis 2 that you might have missed
Here are case elegant but affordable covers and sleeves designed by third-party producers to fit Kindle Oasis e-reader (second generation, released in 2017). They are a great alternative to the original Amazon Origami stand case.
50 best Amazon Fire cases and accessories to buy in 2018
A list of the best case covers and accessories for Amazon Kindle Fire tablets: Fire 7, Fire HD 8, Fire HD 10, and older models. Plus a selection of the best accessories: power chargers, screen protectors, stands, and more.
50 best Kindle cases and accessories to buy in 2018
Find the best Kindle cases and accessories for the basic Kindle, Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis. The list includes items not only from Amazon, but also Etsy, Caseable, eBay, and other sites.