Courtney Gorter has created for Spark Notes an entertaining visual that collects major movements in the history of literature and sums them up in a single sentence.
The infographic includes one-sentence descriptions of twenty major literary movements, including Elizabethan, late renaissance, gothic, transcendentalism, or the literature of absurd.
How would you describe the Age of Enlightenment? “We’ve figured out everything, more or less.” On the other side, Sturm und Drang, a counter-enlightenment movement in German literature in the late 18th century is cleverly described as “They’ve figured out nothing.”
The following literary movements and periods span whole centuries, numerous cultural milestones, and multiple historical turning points, but we have taken the liberty of reducing them all to a single sentence.
Click or tap the infographic to see it in full resolution.
Via Spark Notes.
Keep exploring. We’ve got more infographics about books, reading, literature, and libraries:
- America seen through banned and challenged books (infographic)
- A quick and easy guide to Amazon Prime Day 2018 (infographic)
- 18 most recognizable book covers and fun facts about them (infographic)
- 50 empowering quotes from fictional female characters (infographic)
- Best selling books and book series of the 21st century (infographic)