Clickbait is a scammy tactic aimed at making people click on links to revenue-generating webpages. The tactic relies on sensational headlines and eye-catching thumbnail images.
A Dallas bookstore The Wild Detectives has found the way to turn the scam into good cause. Instead of clicking on ads, people were encouraged to read books.
On September 6, 2016 (a National Read a Book Day), the bookstore started sharing across its social media channels links to articles that were looking like a pure clickbait.
The sensational headlines turned out to be cleverly described plots of famous classic books.
Let’s have a look (and let’s see if you could resist clicking on the links):
- German doctor becomes first to perform full body transplant – Frankenstein by Mary Shelley,
- British guy dies after selfie gone wrong – The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde,
- Romanian man discovers shocking fact about garlic that will give you nightmares – Dracula by Bram Stoker,
- This Italian politician makes Trump look like a saint – The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli,
- Backpacker had the worst trip of his life when island tribe attacked him with poop – Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift,
- Teenage girl tricked boyfriend into killing himself – Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare>.
Let’s say you are attracted by the headline about the first ever full-body transplant. You click on the link, and you directed to The Wild Detectives’ profile at Medium.
The headline is followed by a short introduction that explains the trick:
You fell for the bait, now fall for the book. Read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley below.
What you see below – and what you can start reading immediately – is the text of the book. What’s important, it’s the entire text, not a free sample or a first chapter.
It’s possible thanks to the fact that the books used for the campaign are already in public domain. It means they can be legally republished and reused.
It was a very clever idea to put the novels on Medium publishing platform. The platform, founded by Ev Williams and Biz Stone, is perfect for long-form social journalism.
What’s also interesting, one of the default features Medium provides is read time, displayed at the top of the article. It informs about the approximate time you’ll need to finish reading. The calculation is based on the average reading speed of an adult – 275 word per minute.
Adweek reports that Litbaits yielded a 14,000% boost in traffic to The Wild Detectives profile on Medium. It also increased post engagement on Facebook by 150%.
The creatives behind the campaign are Marta Matías, Jesse Echevarria, Marina Cuesta, and Raúl Méndez.
Litbaits – clever campaign using fake news to encourage people to read
• • •
More to explore:
- 12 most talked-about ebook bestsellers of fall 2017
- 11 exciting ways you can celebrate Read an Ebook Day 2017
- 50 illustrations that cleverly describe what books are about
- The ultimate guide to using Kindle app for iPad and iPhone
- 15 cases for Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017) that combine functionality with style
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Lists.
Tips and tricks
Waterproof Kobo Aura H2O 2017 – tech specs, comparisons, pics, more
Everything you wanted to know about the new waterproof 6.8-inch Kobo Aura H20 (2017). Product details, comparisons with other waterproof e-readers, full tech specs, and more.
Chrome extension finds matching library books while you browse Amazon, Goodreads
Library Extension for Chrome lets you instantly see print or digital book availability from your local library. So, you’ve found an interesting…
18 best gifts and accessories for the mom who loves books
Gifts your book-loving mother will be pleased to get: literary accessories, book-scented candles, bookish home decor, literature-themed jewelry and much more!
11 cases for Kobo Aura One and Aura Edition 2
The list includes original Kobo cases for Aura One and Aura Edition 2, as well as covers from other producers, found on Amazon, Etsy, eBay, and Rakuten.
50 motivating quotes about books and reading
A list of most wonderful and motivating quotes about books and reading. Some of them are beautifully visualized by top designers.
50 best literary gifts for a modern-day book lover
This updated list of the best literary gifts for book lovers includes home decor, clothing, accessories, jewelry, and e-reader covers.