Clickbait is a scammy tactic aimed at making people click on links to revenue-generating webpages. The tactic relies on sensational headlines and eye-catching thumbnail images.
A Dallas bookstore The Wild Detectives has found the way to turn the scam into good cause. Instead of clicking on ads, people were encouraged to read books.
On September 6, 2016 (a National Read a Book Day), the bookstore started sharing across its social media channels links to articles that were looking like a pure clickbait.
The sensational headlines turned out to be cleverly described plots of famous classic books.
Let’s have a look (and let’s see if you could resist clicking on the links):
- German doctor becomes first to perform full body transplant – Frankenstein by Mary Shelley,
- British guy dies after selfie gone wrong – The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde,
- Romanian man discovers shocking fact about garlic that will give you nightmares – Dracula by Bram Stoker,
- This Italian politician makes Trump look like a saint – The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli,
- Backpacker had the worst trip of his life when island tribe attacked him with poop – Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift,
- Teenage girl tricked boyfriend into killing himself – Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare>.
Let’s say you are attracted by the headline about the first ever full-body transplant. You click on the link, and you directed to The Wild Detectives’ profile at Medium.
The headline is followed by a short introduction that explains the trick:
You fell for the bait, now fall for the book. Read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley below.
What you see below – and what you can start reading immediately – is the text of the book. What’s important, it’s the entire text, not a free sample or a first chapter.
It’s possible thanks to the fact that the books used for the campaign are already in public domain. It means they can be legally republished and reused.
It was a very clever idea to put the novels on Medium publishing platform. The platform, founded by Ev Williams and Biz Stone, is perfect for long-form social journalism.
What’s also interesting, one of the default features Medium provides is read time, displayed at the top of the article. It informs about the approximate time you’ll need to finish reading. The calculation is based on the average reading speed of an adult – 275 word per minute.
Adweek reports that Litbaits yielded a 14,000% boost in traffic to The Wild Detectives profile on Medium. It also increased post engagement on Facebook by 150%.
The creatives behind the campaign are Marta Matías, Jesse Echevarria, Marina Cuesta, and Raúl Méndez.
Litbaits – clever campaign using fake news to encourage people to read
• • •
More to explore:
- Case covers for Kindle Oasis 2 that you might have missed
- Amazon reveals Kindle bestsellers for each year, since 2007
- Here are the best books of 2017 picked by Amazon editors
- Explore 80 best Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2017 iPad, Kindle, and Fire deals
- Kindle Oasis 2 – things you should know before buying it
Want even more? Check out all articles in this topic: Lists.
Tips and tricks
Amazon Charts – top 10 facts about the next-generation bestseller lists
Amazon Charts are innovative rankings of Top 20 Most Sold and Top 20 Most Read books in combined reading formats that are updated on a weekly basis.
Amazon launches thinner Fire 7 and cheaper Fire HD 8
Amazon Fire 7 priced at $49.99, Amazon Fire HD 8 ($79.99), Fire 7 Kids Edition ($99.99), and Fire Kids Edition HD 8 ($129.99) are available for pre-order. Shipping starts on June 7, 2017.
15 awesome case covers for your new Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017)
All-new Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017) cases, sleeves, and accessories you can already get. The list is frequently updated with new items.
25 unique cases and sleeves for the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9
A selection of the most functional covers and sleeves designed for Apple iPad Pro tablets released in 2017: Pro 10.5 and Pro 12.9. Leather sleeves, keyboard cases, stand covers, rotating stands, military-grade cases, and more. Amazon, Etsy, Otterbox.
50 best Samsung Galaxy Tab cases and accessories in 2017
An updated selection of the best Samsung Galaxy Tab case covers, sleeves, and accessories. Tab A, Tab S3/S2, Tab 4, and more.
50 illustrations that cleverly describe what books are about
The best illustrations about books and reading. By Paweł Kuczyński, Andrea De Santis, Jungho Lee, Gürbüz Doğan Ekşioğlu, Dale Edwin Murray, and Mariusz Stawarski, among others.