The image appeared on a Baidu forum yesterday, apparently posted by someone working in the factory that’s about to start the production of the new Kindle.
It’s hard to understand the details, as the text is in Chinese, but a MobileRead thread has been already opened to cover the topic.
The biggest new thing (if it confirms) about the 2017 Kindle Paperwhite is that it’s waterproof – a feature Amazon is behind the competition. We also read that the showcased device has the same 300 ppi screen, CPU, and storage as the current Paperwhite.
As you see in the picture above, the front side of the device is all in the glass. It’s a standard solution for tablets and smartphones, but only the premium Kindle models have it so far: the Voyage and Oasis.
How much truth is in the rumor? I agree most with the opinion at The Ebook Reader Blog:
Quite frankly it’s hard to put much stock in what one person says on a Chinese forum with iffy translations but this is the only new Kindle rumor that has surfaced so far this year. The picture lends some credibility to it but then again it’s not a very telling picture and could’ve easily been faked.
Would you buy the Kindle Paperwhite 4, if it had the same price as the current generation, but was waterproof and featured the flush glass?
Via Good E-reader.
• • •
More to explore:
- Celebrate World Book Day 2019 with these free Kindle books in translation!
- 12 tips to make the most of Kindle books on your iPad
- What’s better than Kindle Paperwhite? Two Kindles Paperwhite
- Should I buy Kindle Paperwhite 4? These five questions will help you decide
- Kindle iOS app will soon let you filter books by read and unread