To celebrate the 50th anniversary of International Literacy Day, UNESCO released an infographic that takes a look at the past five decades of national and international engagement to increase literacy rates around the world.
Fifty years ago, UNESCO officially proclaimed 8 September International Literacy Day to actively mobilize the international community and to promote literacy as an instrument to empower individuals, communities and societies.
Click or tap the infographic to see it enlarged.
More infographics about books, libraries, and reading:
- 9 science-backed ways to build a better brain (infographic)
- America seen through banned and challenged books (infographic)
- A quick and easy guide to Amazon Prime Day 2018 (infographic)
- 18 most recognizable book covers and fun facts about them (infographic)
- 50 empowering quotes from fictional female characters (infographic)