To celebrate the 50th anniversary of International Literacy Day, UNESCO released an infographic that takes a look at the past five decades of national and international engagement to increase literacy rates around the world.
Fifty years ago, UNESCO officially proclaimed 8 September International Literacy Day to actively mobilize the international community and to promote literacy as an instrument to empower individuals, communities and societies.
Click or tap the infographic to see it enlarged.
More infographics about books, libraries, and reading:
- The best 2018 infographics about books, libraries, and reading
- The ultimate gift-giving guide – which gifts to give and when (infographic)
- 8 important things users want from a library (infographic)
- 11 libraries invaluable to world history (infographic)
- 15 proven ways to write faster and become a better writer (infographic)