If you buy an item via this post, we may get a small affiliate fee. Details.
With the announcement of the new 6.8-inch Kindle Paperwhite, the price of the previous-generation model goes down to Black Friday levels.
The new, Kindle Paperwhite 6.8 model was announced just a few days ago. It features a larger 6.8-inch display, a long-expected adjustable warm light, and a USB-C port for faster charging and data transfer.
The sales of the earlier model must have stopped completely, if Amazon decided to cut its price.
The deal is comparable to what you can see during Black Friday and Prime Day. You can save between $40 and $65, depending on the version you choose.
Kindle Paperwhite 4 deals right now:
- Kindle Paperwhite 2018, 8 GB, with ads – $89.99 (
$129.99), you save $40 (31%).
- Kindle Paperwhite 2018, 8 GB, without ads – $109.99 (
$149.99), you save $40 (27%).
- Kindle Paperwhite 2018, 32 GB, with ads – $94.99 (
$159.99), you save $65 (41%).
- Kindle Paperwhite 2018, 32 GB, without ads – $114.99 (
$179.99), you save $65 (36%).
Why should you buy Kindle Paperwhite 2018 if there is a newer model? Let’s first go through its main benefits. They are still very appealing:
▸ It’s waterproof – The 2018 Kindle Paperwhite bears IPX8 water resistance badge. It means the device can withstand immersion in 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes.
▸ It features a flush-front design – the front of the device is covered by the edge-to-edge glass – a solution you’ve seen before in Kindle Voyage or Oasis.
▸ You can play Audible audiobooks – connect Bluetooth headphones or a speaker, and you can listen to Audible audiobooks via the built-in audiobook player.
▸ Two storage options – you can choose between 8 GB and 32 GB. The 8 GB variant is enough to hold thousands of ebooks or around 30 full-length audiobooks in standard quality.
There are, however, two features of the new model that a 2018 Kindle Paperwhite doesn’t have: adjustable warm light and USB-C port. Read more about Kindle Paperwhite 2021 here.
Reasons to buy the previous-generation Kindle Paperwhite right now are:
- Amazon runs the current promotion to clear stocks. The 2018 Paperwhite will be sold out by Black Friday, that’s for sure.
- You won’t see deeper price cuts on this model, if you want a new, not a refurbished device.
- The 2018 Paperwhite is available with a 3-month free Kindle Unlimited plan. It’s a saving of an extra $30. The newer Kindle Paperwhite does not include the free Kindle Unlimited.
- You can choose from four color variants: Black, Plum, Sage, and Twilight Blue. The 2021 Paperwhite is available only in Black.
- The previous generation Paperwhite is available in a 32 GB version for $95 right now. The 2021 Paperwhite with that memory size is Signature Edition, and it costs twice as much – $189.99.
• • •
We removed a comment system to increase your privacy and reduce distractions. If you’d like to discuss this article, we are waiting for you on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. You can also follow us on Google News or grab our RSS feed.
Interested in the Kindle? Keep reading:
Kindle case or sleeve? These tips will help you decide
– December 30, 2021
The 20 best books to read on your iPad in 2022
– December 23, 2021
16 gift ideas for the Kindle lover in your life
– December 13, 2021
A concept of the next-generation Kindle Paperwhite, plus a feature wishlist
– October 27, 2021
Black Friday 2021 Kindle price watch and deals
– October 27, 2021