If you buy an item via this post, we may get a small affiliate fee. Details.
Compared to Apple store, Amazon offers thousands of iPad-related items. Here are the tips to find the most interesting ones at the lowest prices.
More and more Apple fans turn to Amazon to shop not only for iPad cases and accessories, but also iPads themselves.
For many, the giant online store becomes the one-stop destination for all things Mac/iPad/iPhone, especially that they can save on getting third-party accessories, and enjoy (not so big, though) price drops on Apple devices.
The only problem Apple users may have with Amazon is that it’s an ugly space (well, compared to Apple visual appeal, everything else is an ugly space). Some users stick to Apple ecosystem because they want to see the highest quality at every single step of the buying process.
Are you ready to accept uglier fonts, product images in lower quality, and overcrowded product pages for the sake of saving some money and having the comfort of getting all iPad-related goods at once? Then, Amazon is your thing.
Shopping events in 2020
- National Reading Month ⇢ March 2020 – mainly on Amazon, several deals on books, ebooks, and Amazon devices
- Mother’s Day ⇢ May 12 in the US – online deal stores launched at the beginning of May; biggest deals revealed on the last weekend
- Father’s Day ⇢ June 16 in the US – deals start appearing from the beginning of the month
- Prime Day ⇢ Predicted for July 13-14 – early deals are revealed a week before; main Prime Day deals start on Monday
- Summer Deals ⇢ July and August – attractive deals offered throughout entire holiday time
- Back to School ⇢ second half of August – school supplies, textbooks, printers, school uniforms, and more
- Black Friday ⇢ November 27 – early deals appear at the beginning of November, second wave during the last weekend; main deals revealed on the preceding Thursday
- Cyber Monday ⇢ November 30 – many Black Friday deals are still valid; new deals on digital content (ebooks, audiobooks, music, movies) and tech stuff
- Green Monday ⇢ December 7 – the last chance to order gifts and get them safely delivered for Christmas; some of the deals are unexpectedly attractive
- Boxing Day ⇢ December 26 – a shopping event to users who want to make the most of their Christmas gifts. Great deals on electronics and digital content.
- End-of-year Deals ⇢ last days of 2020 – mainly deals on digital content; they are revealed during Christmas and are active through December 31
Apple iPad – what other users are searching for?
iPad on Amazon – shopping tips and tricks
It is now safe to buy iPads on Amazon
Since 2018, Apple is selling their products on Amazon through the official channel. Most products are sold and shipped by Amazon, so no third-party vendors are involved.
Before the Amazon Apple deal, iPad, iPhone, and Mac were sold on Amazon by third-party sellers. Some of these vendors were offering iPads at higher prices than regular. The others had a bad reputation, mainly due to unreliable customer service.
All these problems are now gone. Buying an iPad on Amazon is now as safe as buying it directly at Apple.
Authorized Apple Shop on Amazon is a first place to check out
The first place to check out on Amazon, if you want to buy an iPad is official Apple shop on Amazon. It’s the starting point for anyone who wants to save on all things iPad, and wants to get a much wider choice when it comes to iPad cases and accessories.
The official Apple store on Amazon is also a place where you will quickly realize that sticking to a premium Apple ecosystem is not the only option you have, not any longer.
Yes, for many Apple users, the Amazon website seems messy, overcrowded, and hard to navigate. However, if you spend half an hour you may realize it’s not that bad, and that overloaded product pages are actually highly useful in making right buying decisions.
The Apple shop will help you quickly jump to product categories, but also gives a direct link to select accessories (including the iPad), as well as currently running deals.
Here are the shortcuts to iPad-related categories in the Apple’s Amazon shop:
iPad is cheaper on Amazon than in the Apple store
Here is the biggest benefit of buying an iPad (and all other Apple devices) on Amazon: lower prices.
We track prices of all newly introduced iPad models since the Apple shop opened on Amazon. And the rule is that you can save between 3 and 10% compared to Apple stores. You can enjoy lower prices even when there is no shopping event currently running on Amazon (such as Prime Day or Black Friday).
Sometimes, even the models that has just been launched are given price cuts. It usually refers to more expensive variants. The price cuts on entry-level versions usually appear a few weeks after the launch.
iPad cheat sheet 2020
Latest Apple iPad models
Together with links to tech specs and best case covers.
Apple iPad mini 5, 7.9-inch
The world’s favorite compact tablet now comes with Apple Pencil 1 support and A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine, three times the performance and nine times faster graphics. Prices start from $399.
Apple iPad, 10.2-inch
2160 × 1620 px Retina display, Apple Pencil and full-size Smart Keyboard support, Touch ID, A10 Fusion chip with M10 coprocessor. Prices from $329.
Apple iPad Air 3, 10.5-inch
An ultra-thin design with A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine and 10.5-inch advanced Retina display. Supports Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard (1st generation). Prices start from $499.
Apple iPad Pro 11-inch
11-inch edge-to-edge Liquid Retina display with ProMotion technology, Apple Pencil 2 support, Face ID, A12X Bionic chip and Neural Engine, high-speed high-speed USB-C connector. Prices start from $799.
Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch
12.9-inch Liquid Retina 2732 × 2048 px LED-backlit Multi‑Touch display with ProMotion technology, Apple Pencil 2 support, Face ID, A12X Bionic chip and Neural Engine, high-speed USB-C connector. Prices start from $999.
Don’t expect huge iPad price drops during shopping seasons
iPad’s prices are constantly lower, but don’t wait until Black Friday or Prime Day in hope to see much higher price drops. You may get highly disappointed: you may see price discounts on iPad no deeper than 25%, and it mainly refers to:
- Older iPad models
- More expensive variants
Amazon users got used to price cuts on Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers, or Echo smart speakers reaching 50% during Christmas season or Prime Day. It’s not going to happen with iPad and other Apple devices.
Why? Because Fire, Kindle, and Echo are Amazon’s own devices, connected to Amazon content and subscription-based ecosystem. Amazon can lose on selling the device because they will earn much more on selling movies, ebooks, music, and Prime or Kindle Unlimited subscription.
When it comes to the iPad, Amazon can only lower the margin to lure more Apple users and turn them into returning customers.
What iPad price drops can I expect on Amazon?
During popular Amazon shopping events – such as Black Friday, Prime Day, or Mother’s Day – you can save up to 25% on current iPad models. If you are looking for the newly released iPad in entry-level variants, the saving will be smaller: between 5 and 10%.
Black Friday price cuts on iPad models:
- iPad 10.2, Wi-Fi, 128 GB: 23%
- iPad mini, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 256 GB: 6%
- iPad Air 3, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 64 GB: 5%
- iPad Pro 11, Wi-Fi, 256 GB: 16%
Amazon is the best source of refurbished iPads
Amazon is a well-known, reputable source of refurbished electronics.
A refurbished device is the one that has been returned by a customer, and tested by Amazon-qualified supplier for functionality and defects. Its software is being restored to factory settings. The display and bezel are usually being replaced to make the device work and look like new.
However, opposite to Amazon’s own devices, refurbished iPads are being offered by third-party sellers (“Amazon-qualified” but still third-party), and come with a shorter guarantee. Instead of 1-year warranty for a Kindle or Fire, you can get the 3-month Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
How to find refurbished iPads on Amazon
There are two easy ways to do it:
1. Visit Amazon Warehouse
Amazon Warehouse is the home of refurbished electronics. When you visit it, find “Computers & Tablets” category, and then – to narrow down the list of results, click on “Apple” on the left side, under “Featured brands.”
Optionally, when being already in the Amazon Warehouse section, type “iPad” in the search box.
2. Search Amazon for “refurbished iPad”
The second method is even easier, if you don’t have a direct link to Amazon Warehouse.
Simply go to Amazon website (it can be in a mobile browser, as well) and type “refurbished iPad” or “renewed iPad” in the search box on the top of the page.
To quicker get to the most affordable models, set the sort option (top right corner) to “Price: Low to High.” You can also narrow down the list of results by checking “Apple” in the left-side Brand section.
Refurbished iPad – what prices can I expect on Amazon?
If you visit Amazon Warehouse and check out the currently sold iPads, you will get a quick idea of how much you can save. In general, the prices of refurbished items are lower by 5 to 25% – and it refers to iPad, as well.
What you have to keep in mind is that you probably won’t be able to buy a refurbished iPad that has just been released. You will have to wait at least a few weeks.
Generally, getting a refurbished iPad is a good idea if you can’t wait for the upcoming shopping event.
What is Amazon Renewed Guarantee?
The product is eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if it does not work as expected. Get quick support for claims and free troubleshooting via a single point of contact at Amazon.
iPad cases and accessories are the main reason to shop on Amazon
Even if you are still not convinced to buy the iPad on Amazon, you should check out the store if you need a case that’s both affordable and different.
Amazon search returns as many as 50,000 results for a phrase “iPad cover“. You will see the first 10,000 items, so the more specific you are the better to quicker get to the case you need.
Since 2013, we are constantly exploring Amazon for the best iPad cases and accessories, and what we can say is:
- High-quality Smart Cover alternatives are two or three times cheaper than original ones
- The leading third-party iPad case sellers on Amazon are Fintie, MoKo, Zugu, and Infiland
- Many cases come with long-term warranty, some sellers offer even long life warranty at no extra cost
- There are hundreds of different designs, colors, and patterns to choose from, so you will definitely find the one that fits your taste the most
- Always check out the compatibility of a case – some sellers put misleading titles and descriptions
- Never buy an iPad case during hot shopping season. It’s when iPad accessories are the most expensive
- The best moment to buy a case is right after the launch of a new model. Third-party sellers try to earn positive reviews and ratings, and it’s when they reduce prices to sell as many cases as possible.
Many iPad-related products are eligible for Prime benefits
If you are a regular Amazon customer, you don’t need us to list the benefits of Amazon Prime membership, but if you are still an Amazon newbie, you should learn more about this popular subscription-based service.
Amazon Prime ($12.99/month) gives access to digital content for free, with Prime Video and Music, or Amazon Prime Reading being the most popular services.
If you are a Prime member, you can enjoy a free shipping, including the same-day delivery. Plus, you get exclusive access to Prime Early deals, so that you have a chance to claim deals before they are gone.
How does that relate to iPad on Amazon? You can save even more money, and shop any time you want without worrying about shipping costs. For instance, you can buy an iPad screen protector for $5.99 and have it delivered the same day at no extra cost.
As a Prime member you can watch exclusive videos in a Prime Video app on your iPad, or read eligible books free of charge using a Kindle app.
How to find Prime eligible items for your iPad
There are 3 ways to do it:
1. On search pages
When you search for the product using Amazon’s search box:
- You can check “Amazon Prime” box on the left side to see only the eligible items,
- You will see Prime logo for recommended items on the list of search results.
2. On product pages
When you find the product you want to buy, you can easily check out whether you can enjoy the free two-day shipping.
Simply, find the Prime logo underneath the price information.
3. On deal pages
Prime-eligible items are well visible on deal pages:
- There is a “Prime Deal of the Day” label on a list of Lightning deals,
- There is a “Prime Early Access Deal” label on a list of deals – these deals are only available for Prime subscribers,
- A Prime logo is included in a deal’s preview image.
• • •
Top iPad cases and accessories to get in 2020
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Zugu Muse multi-functional iPad protective case
This is the best heavy-duty iPad case you can find on Amazon. It features multi-angle stand secured with strong magnetic structure. Military drop tested ( MIL STD 810G 516.6) to withstand 5-feet drops. Available for iPad mini 5, iPad 10.2, Air 3, and latest Pro models.
Average rating: 4.7/5
Penoval high-precision iPad stylus with palm-rejection technology
A great alternative to Apple Pencil. Penoval stylus is using advanced technology for precise, natural, highly responsive writing and drawing with no delays. Works with all current iPad models.
Average rating: 4.4/5
TiMOVO clear iPad case compatible with Smart Cover
This is a perfect solution for anyone who already has an original Smart Cover but would like to protect the back of the iPad, as well. The case is made of crystal clear plastic that is elegant and non-slip. Available for iPad 10.2 and iPad mini 5.
Average rating: 4.5/5
Lamicall adjustable charging stand for iPad
This sturdy foldable stand lets you charge the iPad thanks to adjustable base and a hole for a cable. The stand can be set at multiple angles, and features rubber pads for better stability.
Average rating: 4.7/5
Don’t stop exploring. Here are other tips and lists for iPad and iPhone users:
- The Apple iPad family timeline (flowchart)
- 10 lesser-known iPad apps to learn English language
- Over 250 short stories from a popular sci-fi magazine are now free to read and download
- Things I learned from 12 years of reading books on the iPhone
- Beat writer’s block! Here are 15 useful iPad cases and accessories for writing