If you buy an item via this post, we may get a small affiliate fee. Details.
Compared to Apple store, Amazon offers thousands of iPad-related items. Here are the tips to find the most interesting ones at the lowest possible prices.
More and more Apple fans turn to Amazon to shop not only for iPad cases and accessories, but also iPads themselves.
For many users, the giant online store is already the one-stop destination for all things Mac/iPad/iPhone, especially that they can save on getting third-party accessories, and enjoy lower prices on Apple devices.
The only problem Apple users may have with Amazon is that it’s an ugly space, with uglier web design, product images in lower quality, and overcrowded product pages. The thing is that, compared to Apple, most web pages and online stores look ugly, not only Amazon.
Some users stick to Apple ecosystem because they want to see the highest quality at every single step of the buying process. If you are one of them, you will probably not get excited about shopping experience on Amazon.
If you, however, are ready to accept mainstream shopping environment for the sake of saving money and having the comfort of getting all iPad-related goods in one place, Amazon is worth trying.
iPad on Amazon – highlights
In the following overview you will learn:
- Why it is now safe to buy iPads on Amazon
- Why you should head to official Apple store on Amazon
- What are iPad prices on Amazon compared to Apple
- What iPad price drops you can expect during Black Friday and other shopping seasons
- Why it’s worth to buy refurbished iPads on Amazon and how to find them
- How to buy iPad cases and accessories on Amazon
- How to benefit from Amazon Prime membership when shopping iPad related items
- How to find books, audiobooks, magazines, and movies for your iPad on Amazon
- Shopping for iPad-related items on Amazon – pros and cons
iPad on Amazon – shopping tips and tricks
It is now safe to buy iPads on Amazon
Since 2018, Apple is selling their products on Amazon through the official store. Most products are sold and shipped by Amazon, so no third-party vendors are involved.
Before the Amazon Apple agreement, iPads, iPhones, and Macs were sold on Amazon by third-party vendors. Some of these sellers were offering iPads at prices that were higher even than official prices. The others had a bad reputation, mainly due to unreliable customer service.
All these problems are now gone. Buying an iPad on Amazon is now as safe as buying it directly at Apple.
- Apple Authorized Reseller store goes live on Amazon – 9to5Mac
- What Amazon and Apple’s deal means for third-party sellers – CNN
- Apple products are finally available on Amazon – Fortune
Authorized Apple store on Amazon is a first place to check out
The first place to check out on Amazon, if you want to buy an iPad is official Apple shop on Amazon. It’s the starting point for anyone who wants to save on all things iPad, and wants to get a much wider choice when it comes to iPad cases and accessories.
The official Apple store on Amazon is also a place where you will quickly realize that sticking to a premium Apple ecosystem is not the only option you have, not any longer.
Yes, for many Apple users, the Amazon website seems messy, overcrowded, and hard to navigate. However, if you spend half an hour you may realize it’s not that bad, and that overloaded product pages are highly useful in making right buying decisions.
The Apple shop will help you quickly jump to product categories, but also gives a direct link to select accessories (including the iPad), as well as currently running deals.
Here are the shortcuts to iPad-related categories in the Apple’s Amazon shop:
iPad is cheaper on Amazon than in the Apple store
Here is the biggest benefit of buying an iPad (and all other Apple devices) on Amazon: lower prices.
We track price changes of newly introduced iPad models since the Apple shop opened on Amazon. And the rule is that you can save between 3 and 10%, compared to Apple web store. You can enjoy lower prices even when there is no shopping event currently running on Amazon (such as Prime Day or Black Friday).
Sometimes, even the models that has just been launched are given price cuts. It usually refers to more expensive variants – the ones with cellular connectivity and bigger internal memory. The price cuts on entry-level versions usually appear a few weeks after the launch.
Here are example prices of iPad models sold on Amazon:
- iPad 10.2-inch, Wi-Fi, 32 GB, Space Gray – $307 instead of
$329; you save $22 (7%) compared to Apple store.
- iPad mini 5 7.9-inch, Wi-Fi, 64 GB, Silver – $394 instead of
$399; you save $5 (1.2%) compared to Apple store.
- iPad Pro 11-inch, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 128 GB, Space Gray – $919 instead of
$949; you save $30 (3.1%) compared to Apple store.
- iPad Air 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, 64 GB, Space Gray – $469 instead of
$499, you save $30 (6%) compared to Apple store.
How to search Amazon for iPads on sale
There are three simple ways to quickly find out which iPad models are offered at reduced prices on Amazon.
1. Explore iPad model list on Amazon
Again, the most reliable place to start shopping all things iPad on Amazon is the official Apple store. This option is most relevant if you still hesitate which iPad model to choose.
Instead of starting from Apple store home page over and over again, we recommend going directly to a list of iPads on Amazon.
The list includes all iPad models and all their variants. Besides the model name, the description includes display size, storage, connectivity, and color.
Most variants come also with a price. However, there is no clear mark that the price is reduced. Usually, regular prices are crossed out, but not in this directory.
Tip: Apple’s price policy is to set prices ending with “9.” For instance, instead of $400, you will see $399. Therefore, if you see on the iPad list the price that does not end with the digit “9,” it means it’s reduced.
Once you pick up your favorite model, make sure to visit its detailed product page and check out the prices of all available variants. Even if the entry-level variant is offered at the regular price, you may see a considerable discount on a variant with a higher memory, or even in a less popular body color.
Therefore, if you are determined to find the highest price cut, it’s worth testing all configuration options:
- Internal memory (“Size”) – the higher variant you choose the higher price cut you should see.
- Connectivity (“Style”) – if you choose a model with Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity, you will most probably see a bigger relative price drop
- Body color (“Color”) – from what we’ve observed, Silver is the most popular variant. Therefore, if you choose Space Gray or Gold, you may see a price cut, while for Silver, you may see a regular price.
2. Check out holiday sale in Apple store on Amazon
It’s not easy to find it, but Apple store on Amazon has its own deal section. You won’t see a link to it from the home page, and it took us some time to find out that such a section exists.
It’s called Apple Holiday Sale and it lists currently offered deals on original Apple devices and accessories. If you are determined to get the new iPad at the lowest possible price, you should check out this section from time to time.
Holiday sale holds not only iPad, but also Mac, Apple TV, AirPods, and iPhone deals, including original cases and Apple-approved accessories. Compared to Amazon’s “regular” iPad prices, which are lower by 3 to 10% than official, you can find here price cuts reaching 20%, and sometimes even more.
3. Search Amazon Gold Box for iPads and iPad accessories
The best way to find deals on Amazon is to explore Gold Box, but if you are an Amazon customer you already know that.
For those who are new to Amazon: Gold Box is a daily source of deals of all kinds from across all categories. You can find here lots of deals on tablets, computers, and other electronics, including iPad, iPad cases, as well as iPad accessories.
The price cuts reaching 50% are common. Depending on the brand and shopping season dynamics, you can find here also the prices cut by one-third or even more.
When it comes to the iPad, the only problem with Amazon Gold Box is that you can’t narrow down the list of results to one specific brand and device. Therefore, be prepared to go through the long list of current deals in order to spot an item – usually a case, earphones, stand, or keyboard – that would be a great addition to your iPad.
One way to reduce the number of items is to explore only the current tech deals. You can do that by simply checking the “Electronics” box in a left sidebar, in the “Department” section.
Checking out Amazon Gold Box is a good habit, not only during Prime Day or Black Friday. Any time you can find a deal on an iPad case or keyboard, and it usually appears on a first or second page.
Don’t expect huge iPad price drops during shopping seasons
iPad prices on Amazon are constantly lower than list prices, but don’t wait until Black Friday or Prime Day in hope to see much better deals. You may get highly disappointed: prices of iPad on sale are usually no deeper than 25%, and it mainly refers to:
- Older iPad models
- More expensive variants
Amazon users got used to price cuts on Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers, or Echo smart speakers reaching 50% during Christmas season or Prime Day. It’s not going to happen with iPad and other Apple devices.
Why? Because Fire, Kindle, and Echo are Amazon’s own devices, connected to Amazon content and subscription-based ecosystem. Amazon can lose on selling the device because they will earn much more on selling movies, ebooks, music, and Prime or Kindle Unlimited subscription.
When it comes to the iPad, Amazon can only lower the margin to lure more Apple users and turn them into returning customers.
What iPad price drops can I expect on Amazon?
During popular Amazon shopping events – such as Black Friday, Prime Day, or Mother’s Day – you can save up to 25% on current iPad models. If you are looking for the newly released iPad in entry-level variants, the saving will be smaller: between 5 and 10%.
Average Black Friday price cuts on iPad models:
- iPad 10.2, Wi-Fi, 128 GB: 23%
- iPad mini, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 256 GB: 6%
- iPad Air 3, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 64 GB: 5%
- iPad Pro 11, Wi-Fi, 256 GB: 16%
Amazon is the best source of refurbished iPads
Amazon is a well-known, reputable source of refurbished electronics.
A refurbished device is the one that has been returned by a customer, and tested by Amazon-qualified supplier for functionality and defects. Its software is being restored to factory settings. The display and bezel are usually being replaced to make the device work and look like new.
However, opposite to Amazon’s own devices, refurbished iPads are being offered by third-party sellers (“Amazon-qualified” but still third-party), and come with a shorter guarantee. Instead of 1-year warranty for a Kindle or Fire, you can get the 3-month Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
How to find refurbished iPads on Amazon
There are two easy ways to do it:
1. Visit Amazon Warehouse
Amazon Warehouse is the home of refurbished electronics. When you visit it, find “Computers & Tablets” category, and then – to narrow down the list of results, click on “Apple” on the left side, under “Featured brands.”
Optionally, when being already in the Amazon Warehouse section, type “iPad” in the search box.
2. Search Amazon for “refurbished iPad”
The second method is even easier, if you don’t have a direct link to Amazon Warehouse.
Simply go to Amazon website (it can be in a mobile browser, as well) and type “refurbished iPad” or “renewed iPad” in the search box on the top of the page.
To quicker get to the most affordable models, set the sort option (top right corner) to “Price: Low to High.” You can also narrow down the list of results by checking “Apple” in the left-side Brand section.
Refurbished iPad – what prices can I expect on Amazon?
If you visit Amazon Warehouse and check out the currently sold iPads, you will get a quick idea of how much you can save. In general, the prices of refurbished items are lower by 5 to 25% – and it refers to iPad, as well.
What you have to keep in mind is that you probably won’t be able to buy a refurbished iPad that has just been released. You will have to wait at least a few weeks.
Generally, getting a refurbished iPad is a good idea if you can’t wait for the upcoming shopping event.
What is Amazon Renewed Guarantee?
The product is eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if it does not work as expected. Get quick support for claims and free troubleshooting via a single point of contact at Amazon.
Many iPad-related products are eligible for Prime benefits
If you are a regular Amazon customer, you don’t need us to list the benefits of Amazon Prime membership, but if you are still an Amazon newbie, you should learn more about this popular subscription-based service.
Amazon Prime ($12.99/month) gives access to digital content for free, with Prime Video and Music, or Amazon Prime Reading being the most popular services.
If you are a Prime member, you can enjoy a free shipping, including the same-day delivery. Plus, you get exclusive access to Prime Early deals, so that you have a chance to claim deals before they are gone.
How does that relate to iPad on Amazon? You can save even more money, and shop any time you want without worrying about shipping costs. For instance, you can buy an iPad screen protector for $5.99 and have it delivered the same day at no extra cost.
As a Prime member you can watch exclusive videos in a Prime Video app on your iPad, or read eligible books free of charge using a Kindle app.
How to find Prime eligible items for your iPad
There are 3 ways to do it:
1. On search pages
When you search for the product using Amazon’s search box:
- You can check “Amazon Prime” box on the left side to see only the eligible items,
- You will see Prime logo for recommended items on the list of search results.
2. On product pages
When you find the product you want to buy, you can easily check out whether you can enjoy the free two-day shipping.
Simply, find the Prime logo underneath the price information.
3. On deal pages
Prime-eligible items are well visible on deal pages:
- There is a “Prime Deal of the Day” label on a list of Lightning deals,
- There is a “Prime Early Access Deal” label on a list of deals – these deals are only available for Prime subscribers,
- A Prime logo is included in a deal’s preview image.
iPad cases and accessories are the main reason to shop on Amazon
Even if you are still not convinced to buy the iPad on Amazon, you should check out the store if you need a case that’s both affordable and different.
Amazon search returns as many as 50,000 results for a phrase “iPad cover“. You will see the first 10,000 items, so the more specific you are the better to quicker get to the case you need.
Since 2013, we are constantly exploring Amazon for the best iPad cases and accessories, and what we can say is:
- High-quality Smart Cover alternatives are two or three times cheaper than original ones.
- The leading third-party iPad case sellers on Amazon are Fintie, MoKo, Zugu, and Infiland.
- Many cases come with long-term warranty, some sellers offer even long life warranty at no extra cost.
- There are hundreds of different designs, colors, and patterns to choose from, so you will definitely find the one that fits your taste the most.
- Always check out the compatibility of a case – some sellers put misleading titles and descriptions.
- Never buy an iPad case during hot shopping season. It’s when iPad accessories are the most expensive.
- The best moment to buy a case is right after the launch of a new model. Third-party sellers try to earn positive reviews and ratings, and it’s when they reduce prices to sell as many cases as possible.
• • •
We removed a comment system to increase your privacy and reduce distractions. If you’d like to discuss this article, we are waiting for you on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. You can also follow us on Google News or grab our RSS feed.
Don’t stop exploring. Here are other tips and lists for iPad and iPhone users:
- iPad 10.2 (2020) – a user-focused guide to benefits and features
- iPad Air 4 2020 full specs and feature list – quick overview
- 10 most reliable iPad trackpad keyboard cases that were released so far
- A perfect audiobook app – what features should it offer?
- You can now permanently delete Kindle books directly in your iPad app