I’m pleased to share a new set of great books that came into public domain and are available for free from Project Gutenberg. Many people assume that public domain is all about classic literature from XIX century. It’s not true. You can find a lot of much younger publications.
Some time ago, I put together 12 great sci-fi titles from 30s, 40s, and 50s, including stories by Philip K Dick. In fact, Project Gutenberg has much more vintage sci-fi publications than that. Astounding Stories of Super-Science are the next great thing to download.
Astounding is the initial name of Analog Science Fiction and Fact, the longest running sci-fi magazine. By many enthusiasts it’s considered the best of its genre. The magazine was launched by William Clayton, a well-respected publisher of several pulp titles. He hired Harry Bates as the editor.
Bates wanted to pack Astounding with straightforward action-adventure stories. Scientific elements were only present to provide minimal plausibility. As Brain Plucker blog remarks:
Astounding started as a “Blood-n-Thunder” pulp with an emphasis on action, and damn the science. There are some very good authors contained in these pages like Edmond Hamilton, Murray Leinster, Hugh B. Cave, Arthur J. Burks, and Miles J. Breuer.
In the first two years, Astounding Stories of Super-Science were published in the USA without a copyright notice. That’s why they are available in public domain.
The full list of 20 issues of Astounding, published between January 1930 and August 1931, is available here, and below you can find most popular titles, together with stories included in each volume.
Astounding Stories of Super-Science
- The Beetle Horde – Victor Rousseau
- The Cave Of Horror – Captain S. P. Meek
- Phantoms Of Reality – Ray Cummings
- The Stolen Mind – M. L. Staley
- Compensation – C. V. Tench
- Tanks – Murray Leinster
- Invisible Death – Anthony Pelcher
- Cold Light – S. P. Meek
- Brigands of the Moon (Part 1 of 4) – Ray Cummings
- The Soul Master – Will Smith and R. J. Robbins
- From the Ocean’s Depths – Sewell Peaslee Wright
- Vandals of the Stars – A. T. Locke
- Into the Ocean’s Depths – Sewell Peaslee Wright
- Murder Madness (Part 1 of 4) – Murray Leinster
- Brigands of the Moon (Part 3 of 4) – Ray Cummings
- The Jovian Jest – Lilith Lorraine
- The Atom-Smasher – Victor Rousseau
- Out of the Dreadful Depths – Charles Willard Diffin
- Murder Madness (Part 2 of 4) – Murray Leinster
- The Cavern World – James P. Olsen
- Brigands of the Moon (Part 4 of 4) – Ray Cummings
- Giants of the Ray – Tom Curry
- The Moon Master – Charles Willard Diffin
- The Planet of Dread – R. F. Starzl
- The Lord of Space – Victor Rousseau
- The Second Satellite – Edmond Hamilton
- Silver Dome – Harl Vincent
- Earth, the Marauder (Part 2 of 3) – Arthur J. Burks
- Murder Madness (Part 4 of 4) – Murray Leinster
- The Flying City – H. Thompson Rich
- Stolen Brains – S. P. Meek
- The Invisible Death – Victor Rousseau
- Prisoners of the Electron – Robert H. Leitfred
- Jetta of the Lowlands (Part 2 of 3) – Ray Cummings
- An Extra Man – Jackson Gee
- The Wall of Death – Victor Rousseau
- The Pirate Planet (Part 1 of 4) – Charles Willard Diffin
- The Destroyer – William Merriam Rouse
- The Gray Plague – Lloyd Arthur Eshbach
- Jetta of the Lowlands (Part 3 of 3) – Ray Cummings
- Vagabonds of Space – Harl Vincent
• • •
More posts to check out:
Here are the most downloaded free ebooks during the pandemic
– June 7, 2020
25 sources of free public domain books
– January 1, 2017
12 sites where you can read full books online
– November 2, 2016
Gifts for modern book lovers in 2022
Based on recommendations from top tech sites and customer reviews.
Breathable 3D sleep headphones – great for audiobooks
This cozy and breathable sleeping mask has a special 3D shape which will not put pressure on your eyeballs and face. It features built-in Bluetooth earbuds with a playback time reaching 10 hours.
Cute book sleeve – great for print books and e-readers
From The Great Oak comes a large zippered book sleeve with a cozy and bright pattern. The soft middle layer is designed to keep your books safe and comfy. It will protect not only your paperbacks, but also an e-reader.
Hands-free pillow stand – great for e-readers and print books
An improved version of a popular Lamicall tablet pillow comes now with a side pocket for a pen or small accessories. The grooves are deep enough to hold a print book. It’s made of durable materials and is available in five fashionable colors.