Back in 1995, John Wainwright was one of the beta testers for Amazon site. On April 3, he ordered Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies by Douglas Hofstadter.
This is believed to be the first public order from the website. Interesting thing is that it was handled before Amazon.com officially launched, which happened in July.
A Quora thread, Amazon Company History, has more details. John Wainwright joined the discussion and shared the photo of the book together with a packing slip (picture above).
I think I ordered the book over a T-1 connection at work, I was working at Kaleida Labs, the Apple/IBM joint venture, at the time.
The book is still in his order history listing! Release date for this hardcover edition is February 8, 1995.
Via The Next Web.
• • •
Check out more posts about Amazon:
- Top 15 most interesting Amazon Fire 10 case covers and sleeves
- Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019 release) – full tech specs
- Book lovers, BookBook case for iPad mini 5 has just arrived!
- Why it pays to preorder iPad 10.2 with Smart Keyboard on Amazon
- Here are our top 10 picks for world literature books to read in 2019