To celebrate the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare’s death, Oxford University Press frequently releases infographics that deal with different aspects of the Bard’s life and works.
Although he was very young at the time, he may have witnessed the blazing Stella Nova in 1572, which could explain his reference to the “westward star” in Hamlet.
Click or tap the infographic to see it enlarged.
More to explore:
- How many libraries could the bestselling authors fill (infographic)
- How to find out which European language you are reading (flowchart)
- Censorship by the numbers (infographic)
- Top most challenged books of 2018 in the United States (infographic)
- How Shakespeare’s most iconic female characters got their names (infographic)