Marvin, the most advanced and feature-packed book reading app for iOS celebrates its first anniversary.
The update that has just been released is essential as it simplifies the experience for users with more than one iOS device. Marvin is now universal – one app is optimized for both iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch.
So far there were two versions:
- originally launched a year ago, optimized for iPad, a free download
- a version for iPhone and iPod Touch, introduced in September, for $4.99
Since now the list price of Marvin will be $2.99 ($2 less than iPhone version before the update). What is important, for a limited time the app will be free to let current iPad users update it at no cost.
There is a simple guide on Marvin blog about how to migrate from Marvin for iPad to the new universal version.
Existing users can continue using Marvin for iPad indefinitely, but it will not be available for new users, and there will be no new updates. As I wrote earlier, the universal app is currently free, so that current users of the iPad app could migrate to the new one at no cost.
Marvin is the app for power readers, or just readers who want their book reading app look and behave exactly as they want.
During this first year, Marvin has been updated almost once every two weeks. Over 360 new features and enhancements were made. My favorite ones are customs commands that let set up most used tasks to be available in one tap.
There are also tons of customization features, a very powerful library management, advanced book analysis tools similar to Kindle X-Ray, Dropbox-powered sync, and Calibre integration.
The new update, besides moving to universal mode, offers several Dropbox and Calibre optimizations. It also has an improved epub compatibility, and further UI improvements were made.
Stay tuned. Later today we’ll publish an interview with the developer of Marvin, Kristian Guillaumier, who will talk about next developments, and share his thoughts about the future of digital reading.
Since the new update, Marvin has also a free edition that lets read one book at a time.
Marvin book reader for iOS
Marvin is an eBook reader for people who are passionate about their books. Get Marvin and find out why readers are calling it “the most brilliant eReader to come out in a long time”
Enjoy your books
– A modern and clean user interface
– Format books any way you like
– High fidelity rendering
– Opens DRM-free EPUB books
– A selection of beautiful reading fonts
– Virtually unlimited combinations of text and background colors
– 2 column layouts in both portrait and landscape (iPad)
– Cloud location sync
– Publisher layouts and embedded fonts
– Full book search
– Control page warmth and tint in addition to brightness for comfortable night-time reading
– Customizable gestures, swiping to control brightness and warmth, page turn directions, snapping to bookmarks and chapters, etc…
– A reading timer
– Powerful highlighting and annotation tools
– Create custom commands with presets to integrate with Google Maps, Bing Images, Tweetbot, IMDb, Lingvo, Goodreads, Facebook, Wikipedia, the Merriam-Webster dictionary and more
Discover and learn
– Artificial intelligence that reads your books and helps you discover great things about them, their authors, characters, places, events and everything else (English only)
– Intelligently search for and pin web content such as articles, reviews and videos
– Build character summaries as separate EPUBs in seconds
– Automatically build a vocabulary as you look up words in the dictionary
– Offline and online dictionaries
– Incredibly powerful library management tools
– Custom and smart collections (folders)
– Sorting, filtering and grouping
– Group books by word count
– Reads calibre and extended metadata (subjects, series and tags)
– A metadata editor that also lets choose new covers
– Virtually all the content you see, create and find can be exported and shared
– All exported content can be opened in web browsers and word processors for further reference
– Share status, progress, pictures, text selections and highlights to Facebook and Twitter
Your books anywhere
– Find books anywhere in your Dropbox
– Native calibre support with integration that other readers can only dream of OPDS catalogs
– Web downloads
– iTunes and email side-loading
– Marvin opens DRM-free EPUB 2.0 books
– Dropbox support and location sync requires a Dropbox account
For a limited time the app is free to let current users update it at no cost.
More posts about Marvin:
- Interview with Kristian Guillaumier, the creator of Marvin for iOS
- How to automatically archive quotes from ebooks in a single document
- How to set up custom translations in Marvin for iPhone and iPad
- Marvin is the most advanced and user-friendly iOS book reader
- 5 best book reading apps for iPhone and iPad
Tips and tricks
How to gift Kindle Unlimited ebook subscription
Kindle Unlimited is a monthly ebook subscription but you can gift someone a longer subscription plan – and it’s easier than you think.
These Marvel comics are included in Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading
Want to quickly check out which comics from Marvel are available in Kindle Unlimited or Amazon Prime Reading? Here’s how to do it.
9 gift ideas for the Kindle addict in your life
Going to buy the gift for somebody who already owns the Kindle? Ebook subscription, book-scented candles, functional accessories, book jewelry and clothing, and more.
8 best keyboard cases you can use with your Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet
A list of the best Samsung Galaxy Tab keyboard cases. Includes both cases for specific models and universal keyboard cases.
50 best Kindle cases and accessories to buy in 2017
Find the best Kindle cases and accessories in one frequently updated list. It includes items not only from Amazon, but also Etsy, Caseable, eBay, and other sites.
50 best Nook cases and accessories to buy in 2017
Updated list of fashionable, well-designed Nook case covers and accessories. Nook GlowLight & GlowLight Plus, Nook Tab A 7.0, Nook Tab S2 8.0, and Nook Tab E 9.6.