Founded on July 5, 1994, by Jeff Bezos, Amazon has become the world’s largest and most innovative online retailer.
The 20th anniversary of the company comes with news of a 2014 Q2 net loss of $126 million. Obviously, like in the history of every company in the world, there are ups and downs.
One thing is clear, however. The company is on a constant way up, as this infographic prepared by DPFOC Online proves.
The chart puts together useful info from different fields, that let better realize how powerful the company is today. It’s good to track major Amazon acquisitions, the data behind Kindle business, as well as study strategies Jeff Bezos used to build and grow Amazon.
The first name of the company was Cadabra, but Jeff Bezos changed it to Amazon for three reasons:
- “cadabra” sounded too much like “cadaver”,
- starting the name with letter “a” would give the company the advantage of being at the top of every alphabetical list,
- Amazon river is one of the biggest in the world, and this is what the founder wanted to do with his store.
Amazon.com went online in 1995. The first book sold by the store was Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies by Douglas Hofstadter. It was ordered on April 3 by John Wainwright, one of beta testers of the site.
There are surely many users who shop Amazon for long years. The site evolved over time, being a good reflection of changing internet standards. You can check out how Amazon website was looking at the time of launching the first-generation Kindle.
Click or tap on the image below to see it in full resolution.
Looking for more infographics? Check out recent ones added to Ebook Friendly:
- 19 trendy words you should be using more often (infographic)
- Reading in the 21st century – digital and print compared (infographic)
- 6 steps to read more books – more efficiently (infographic)
- Benefits of reading graphic novels (infographic)
- Forbidden books from around the world (infographic)
Is there a book lover in your life whom you would like to give an exceptional gift this Christmas? Explore these gift lists to find the most refreshing ideas!